Monday, April 19, 2010
Benjamin got into my first choice pre-school's four-year-old, four days per week program!
It's quite close to the house (no driving!) and means that, at least four days a week, I will have to walk at least 3 miles.
In addition to being four days, the days are longer, which means I can crank out my work while he's there.
~Courtney posted at 10:40:49 AM
I woke daddy up!
Monday, April 19, 2010
I got up to go to the gym for a 6 am class this morning, and at some point in the night, Benjamin had come into our bed, so I was super quiet, shushed the alarm on the first ring, and got up without Andrew's nudging and encouragement (or heckling).
When I got home, I heard Benjamin playing in his room, and Andrew in the shower. I popped into B's room to say hello, and he said "Daddy was lazy bones this morning, and the sun was up, so I woke him up with my flute. Like this." He then put two fingers up to his mouth, and made that wooh-oooh-woot noise, like a whistle.
I figured that he had done just that...shouted in his face. But no. That's not what happened. B left the bedroom, got his flute from music class and honked it loudly, in Andrew's face.
If not waking up to a flute being blown in your face while sweetly snoozing isn't enough motivation to get up before the sun and go to the gym, I don't know what is.
It's a Monday.
~Courtney posted at 9:34:46 AM
Friday, April 16, 2010
So, Andrew and I are both of the school of thought that toilet paper, when on the roll, should come over the top...not be pulled from underneath.
Recently, I've noticed that the roll in our downstairs bathroom is nearly always backwards from my preference. I always change it (I have a little OCD in me...what can I say!?).
I never bothered saying anything to Andrew, because it wasn't something I was losing sleep over, but I was surprised, since I thought we'd always been on the same page regarding this VERY significant issue.
So, while discussing the day's events, we just discovered that it's a certain three year old who is messing up our, functional for 5.5 years, system.
While sitting on B's hand-washing step this morning, I had pulled the toilet paper off of the holder to assist him. I left it on the side of the sink. When I went back a couple hours later, it was placed back on the holder, upside down, which I knew I hadn't done. Later in the day, he had removed it again for his "two squares" and then put it back the same way.
Anyhow, I am mostly documenting for my own memories, because the conversation that just happened between Andrew and I was worth noting. As for Benjamin, we need to figure out how to encourage him to put it back on the RIGHT way.
Also appropriately titled? You need a stinkin' life. But now I need to know...how does your TP roll?
~Courtney posted at 9:51:20 PM
Benjamin in the city
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
All from my phone, which is about the only camera I use these days.
Handy Manny? Nope. It's Handy Benjamin. He can often be found wearing his tool belt, looking for a project that could use his help!
We love the park! We're starting to see the same faces, too, which is definitely fun!
The trike is Benjamin's preferred mode of transportation. He dings the bell (and wants a horn for it, too), and yells things like "Fire truck coming through! Man the ladder! Man the hose! I've got to get a cat from a tree! Get out of my way!" I think the trike is already making him famous 'round these parts. I know his helmet is too small...it's since been replaced with a kid's size LARGE. He's got a noggin on him!
Beating the heat of last week with some wagon washing.
New patio furniture designed for small spaces! We have so much clutter, but I have some big plans for organizing...stay tuned!
96 degrees in the sun!? Don't mind if I do!
I swore to death that I wasn't going to do the video game thing with my kids. Then I became the mom of a pre-schooler who is obsessed with my iPhone. Solution? Repurpose the Nintendo DS into an "iPhone with games" for Benjamin. Here he's holding his first ever video game. He's since learned to use the Wii a bit...that's hilarious!
The walking, trike-riding, wagon-washing, puddle jumping, garden-planting life of a little boy in the city is EXHAUSTING.
As I click post on this, he's upstairs howling because he's so.stinkin.tired, but won't take a nap. Is it too early for a glass of wine?
~Courtney posted at 3:07:54 PM
Save the date, Benjamin's birthday party...
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Benjamin has started the preliminary plans for his birthday party.
We were thinking something along the lines of inviting everyone to the Oriole's/Red Sox game on his actual birthday, but he thinks it'd be better if we chartered a boat. He didn't say "charter a boat," but he did point out which boat he'd like to take out to sea for dancing and lunch with all of his friends, his family, and night night doggie. There will be both cake AND cupcakes.
Here it is. The USS Constellation. Luckily it's conveniently located in the Inner Harbor, a quick 5 minute walk from the house.
Clearly his birthday party isn't going to be held on the USS Constellation. At least not at sea. When I told him that it seems HIGHLY unlikely that I'd be able to pull that off, he told me that another big ship, like a yacht, would do.
Thank goodness. Let me get right on that.
~Courtney posted at 8:37:16 AM
Things worth noting...
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
I need to do bullet points, because sadly, that's how my brain has been operating lately.
- Benjamin has been HILARIOUS lately. Between the funny, funny things that he likes to talk about, to his desire to know how everything works, to his exasperated sigh when I ask him to do something, he keeps us on our toes, but is constantly entertaining.
- Aforementioned desire to know about everything has interfered with nap time, which has, apparently, become obsolete at our house. It also interferes with bedtime. The move, while an opportunity to start some new (good) habits, was a tad chaotic, and we need to get back into a good groove here.
- My car, the one that had the front ripped off of it the day before we closed on the houses? We got it fixed, the place did a beautiful job, and we enjoyed driving it again for a whopping 5 days before some dude rear-ended Andrew near his office. Thankfully nobody was hurt, but it's back at the place, where we're hoping they'll do another beautiful job.
- I have been driving Benjamin back to VA to finish out his preschool year. Am I crazy? Awesome? Awesomely crazy? I don't know. It's a lot, but he LOVES school, so I am glad to be able to do it for him. I either run errands, or get some work done.
- I joined a new gym, and the classes are off the hook. Yes, I just said off the hook. Oh, and I also go to the gym at 6 am; I just might become a morning person again.
- Benjamin is obsessed with Venus Fly Traps. Like, seriously obsessed. He was incredibly disappointed that the local Lowes didn't have them in stock for our garden.
- That'd be a garden that has a bit of green in it already, thank you very much. It has a LONG way to go before it looks like I want it to, but it's close.
- I've been feeling super crafty lately. We still have some unpacking work to do before I get into crazy crafty mode (remember the spray paint stage? Yeah, this is more serious than that).
Okay, that's not even close to all of what's going on, but my brain is un-caffeinated, and if you read my facebook status from yesterday, you'd know that I need caffeine to function.
~Courtney posted at 8:10:30 AM
Well hello there
Sunday, April 11, 2010
We've been running at a million miles an hour, but I just wanted to post about how happy we are in the new house; and how much fun we've been having!
To sum it up, nothing makes me happier than the fact that every time we come home from one of our little outings (walks, park, Inner Harbor, CVS, dinner) Benjamin says "that was a GREAT adventure!"
Real update coming soon...
(PS. The Easter Bunny brought a doctor's kit...)
~Courtney posted at 6:01:38 PM
Save your money, honey!
Thursday, April 01, 2010
B: mommy, I reaaaaallly want a doctor kit.
Me: you have to save your money up.
B: okay. Can you please give me some money that I can save while we walk to the toy store?
~Courtney posted at 7:59:39 AM